I am not one to get on my soap box and converse about different peoples point of views on the topic of science vs. religion and who is right and who is wrong but this morning when I woke up and opened the newspaper, the digital version, and saw Bill Nye in the Knoxville News Sentinel being attacked, I just knew I needed to write this. I am impartial on the topic of religion mainly because I do not follow any religion, thus you can’t say I am predisposed based on a type of religion. I simply trust in facts, and what can be scientifically proven I believe to be true. Now, I am not going to speak about theories or religions I just want people to know why it is important to teach our children about science.
As I was reading thru all the comments people were leaving on the newspaper article and all I could think about was the movie Idiocracy. If you haven’t seen it you should.
I cringe every time I hear people dismiss evolution. I would like to ask them to please explain to me the theory behind evolution. I think maybe less than 5% of them could explain to me what Darwin’s theory truly means and the rest of the 95% would say we came from monkeys. This is heartbreaking! The media has made us against each other on this topic and many do not even know what they are talking about. Please educate yourself on both sides of a topic before you take a stance on it.
I have always excelled in the subject of biology; I even won the state science fair in Kindergarten with my science project on the evolution of a butterfly. In college, the same was true. I even disproved my professors on many topics and changed the way they taught some subjects. I made straight 100% in all my science classes without fall. I was also raised in church. I went everyday and even won a pin for not missing any services for a year straight. I have read the Christian bible cover to cover. I studied this topic for over 13 years. Why am I stating this? I want people to know that I am educated on both sides of this subject.
As you can see I really like Biology
I have been studying Astronomy a lot this year and I have learned so much about the universe we live in. I am amazed at what I have learned in such a short amount of time and we are learning more and more about it every day. When I was in school Pluto was still a planet, poor Pluto you will be missed, but science changes as we gather more evidence. Anyways, I start out with a quote from newspaper article “The Earth is not 6,000 or 10,000 years old,” Nye said in an interview with The Associated Press. “It’s not. And if that conflicts with your beliefs, I strongly feel you should question your beliefs. The Earth is proven to be about 4.54 billion years old. How do we know this? Well, if you study isotope dating (and not carbon isotope dating, which is good for tens of thousands of years only, not millions or billions of years as required for this particular problem) on solar system materials including meteorites and earth-origin materials yield an initial date of approximately 4.5 billion years for a large amount of items.
Why do I care if people misjudge the age of the planet you may ask. Well, I do not want us to stop learning and growing as people. I question everything people tell me. I do not believe in something because my parents told me or my teacher said it was true. I look at both sides of the subject and analyze the presented evidence and thus draw my own conclusion. Bill Nye states, “If we raise a generation of students who don’t believe in the process of science, who think everything that we’ve come to know about nature and the universe can be dismissed by a few sentences translated into English from some ancient text, you’re not going to continue to innovate,” We need children to trust science and learn and grow from it for the greater good. We need cures for cancer and AIDS and many other illnesses that you can only get from knowing science.
In closing, parents please teach your children how to think and not what to think. Teach them to question everything and learn and think for themselves. Let them make up their own mind on what they want to believe and not what we want them to know.